Sarah shares her top picks on what to see at this year’s VAMFF
From fast cars to fashion, horses to heroes, mad March is here again and, it seems, bigger and better than ever before. From the Formula One Grand Prix, celebrating its 25th race, to the All Star Mile, one of horse racing’s biggest new events will come to Caulfield Racecourse, the global launch of World Tour featuring Robbie Williams and Miley Cyrus, Nissan will support the effort to achieve the biggest numbers at a female sporting match at the , AFL season kick-off, Moomba, Melbourne Design Week, Comedy Festival and the Flower Show; there really is something for everyone in Melbourne this March.
But, it’s no secret that I love the Melbourne Fashion Festival. Celebrating our creative industry and supporting our home-grown fashion design talent is something I am very passionate about and VAMFF does just that. This year’s theme, ‘Fashions Wonderland’, has never been more welcomed, giving people the opportunity to dress up, let go and have fun!
The program is huge and, I have to say, one of the most exciting line-ups to date, offering a range of ticketed events and free activations across fashion, arts and ideas. Whilst I’d love to get along to every event throughout the action packed 11 days, below is my top picks of events not to miss. For anyone looking for the VIP treatment, front row seats are available for most of the runway shows -but get in quick as they are selling fast!
1. David Jones Gala Runways, Tuesday 10 March, Royal Exhibition Building ($59+)
For the first time David Jones will bring its famed Collections launch direct to the consumer for the opening Gala Runway shows. If you’re looking for the latest trends from leading Australian and international designers as well as a good dose of celebrity spotting, this show is for you.
2. Runway 3 presented by Harper’s BAZAAR, Thursday 12 March, Royal Exhibition Building ($59+)
Alongside some of our best design talent, this show will also feature our national hero Celeste Barber in her runway debut
3. Virgin Australia Grand Showcase presents MATICEVSKI, Thursday 12 March, Royal Exhibition Building ($59+)
History in the making as one of Melbourne’s most acclaimed designers presents a dazzling solo show.
4. Studio Edit 2, Thursday 12 March, Runway 2 Royal Exhibition Building ($39+)
A hand-picked collection of Melbourne menswear brands that share a common approach to design.
5. Reebok Runway, Saturday 14 March, The Plaza Royal Exhibition Building ($39+)
Reebok will deliver fitness and fashion with a high energy, uplifting runway.
6. The Plaza, 10-14 March 5:30-11.00pm, Royal Exhibition Building (Free)
Melbourne’s liveliest fashion party featuring food, drinks and a host of interactive activities. Perfect spot to get your street style snaps.
7. Fashion Film Awards 2020, Thursday 5th March, The Capitol Theatre RMIT ($15)
Demonstrating new and innovative ways of fashion storytelling, the Festival’s Fashion Film Awards screens the 2020 shortlisted fashion films alongside the best of RMIT student fashion films.
8. International Women’s Day Breakfast, Friday 6th March, ZINC at Federation Square ($129)
Each year this event is a highlight. Featuring a stellar line-up of powerhouse women, you leave feeling empowered, celebrated and inspired.
9. Australian Fashion Summit, Friday 13 March, ZINC at Federation Square ($499)
Thought leaders from a range of creative industries come together to inspire and discuss the continued evolution of the fashion landscape. This year’s headline speakers include Laura Brown (Editor in chief Instyle USA), Eva Kruse (President of Global Fashion Agenda Copenhagen) & Celeste Barber (author, actress & comedian). $50 from the sale of Fashion Summit tickets will be donated to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal.
10. Melbourne Museum Nocturnal x Fashion, 6th March, Melbourne Museum ($27-$37)
The Festival and Melbourne Museum come together again to celebrate the best of music and fashion featuring: Banoffee, Chunky Move x Romance Was Born, Rainbow Chan, Mojo Juju (Dj Set), Purple Sneakers, Feels, Pania, SaD, and Hey Drums.
11. Block Party, Saturday 14th March, The Plaza Royal Exhibition Building
Loads of free activities for fashion lovers – workshops, music, pop up runway, live fashion illustration, performance art and, my favourite, the clothing swap.
Full program available here
Tickets available at www.vamff.com.au